Question #22

Thursday, November 26, 2009
Hello everyone (;
I'm using Ms.Mitchell's laptop, in her room, and after school.
I might be back tommorow, to work on this, just in case I don't finish today.
So I'll make this post as best as I can (:
THANKS MR.B :D and MS.M ;P
Well anyways, I'm doing question 22 on pg.70.
As you can see, it looks really hard, and I have a feeling no one did this question from the 9 you had to do. But not me. I actually forgot that we only had to do 9, so I ended up doing them all... But it's all good (;

Here's the question:

Taj has three scoops for measuring flour. The largest scoop holds 2 1/2 times as much as the smallest one. The middle scoop holds 1 3/4 times as much as the smallest one.
Describe two different ways in which Taj could measure each of the following quantities. He can use full scoops only.

(HINT-HINT: "full scoops only" simply means, "you can't use 1/2 of a scoop or a 1/3 of a scoop" and so on)

a) 3 1/4 times as much as the smallest scoop holds

b) 1/2 as much as the smallest scoop holds


Okay, you might be wondering, "how much does the smallest scoop hold?"
And I did too. So I asked Mr.B, and you know what he said?
He said the small scoop = x
But that does make sense, since it doesn't say in the word problem.

HINT-HINT: x is a variable, and it doesn't matter what letter you use. You could use y, s, l, etc.

So here was the first thing he told me to write:



(Okay I'm back. And now I'm in Mrs.R's room. THANKS MRS.R! AND MR.B AGAIN!)


Now, it's the hard part.
This question is really similar to my last question.
Like others, you guys had questions that have a simple solution and an absolute answer.
But both questions I've had so far aren't like that.
These kinds of questions require a lot of thinking, and a lot of time.
Like Mr.B said to Kim, "You have to play with the numbers."
*winks at Kim*

So, the question is asking for two examples for each a and b.
At first, it was really tricky, but now I think I've got a hang of it.

Here is Question 22.a)








While Mr.B was showing me Example 2, I got confused when he said minus x.
But then he reminded me that there's always a one in front of the x.
As Mr.B always says, "MATHEMATICIANS ARE LAZY."
Well, if you were in confusion just like me, now you know.
So... minus x is just saying minus 1x.



Here is Question 22.b)










Well, that was my post. If you have any other questions, you could ask Mr.B.



And one more reminder:
If you're not sure of something, ask Mr.B. Anything. Don't be shy.
If you don't ask, you won't learn, and you'll get even more confused the further we go into the units.
If he says "stop bugging me." that's not a bad thing.
He likes it when you guys ask questions, because that means that we do want to learn.
And learn it from someone who knows. (ME)
Bug him all you want.
I follow him everywhere, so don't be scared that you might be the only one.
Because you're not.
*smiles at Mr.B*



Okay then, please comment.
And don't forget.
ASK QUESTIONS. LEARN MORE.
Thanks for reading my post (;

HINT-HINT: "THE CLASS" is "THE CLASS" that needs to ask questions.

THANK YOU AGAIN TO MR.B, MS.M, and MRS.R!
THANKS FOR GIVING ME A PLACE TO WORK, AND A COMPUTER TO USE!
THANK THEM FOR THIS POST, BECAUSE IF IT WEREN'T FOR THEM, THIS WOULDN'T BE HERE RIGHT NOW!
;DDDDD+

3 comments:

MikeMcilveen said...

Okay Melanie, fantastic post! I should explain that I'm a math teacher in Ontario but I found this site on Twitter so here I am, and I saw in the math chat you wanted a comment.

Anyway I really like the way you wrote down the math in colour and explained everything - I am truly impressed! When I read your answer I was pretending that the small scoop holds 1 cup (x is one cup.)

Okay there is one question I have for you and keep in mind that I might not visit back at this site for a while but here is the question:
How do you subtract scoops?

Have fun in your class, it sure looks like fun. :)

Mr. B. said...

Great post Melanie. Like the colour and all and also the great advice to "the class." Yes I do like it when you ask questions!! It tells me you want to learn and even if I do say get lost I don't really mean it, right? Keep bugging, keep asking keep LEARNING!!

angela905 said...

Good job Melanie! Great pictures, and explanations! I really get this question now. Also the use of color is like SKITTLES! Very bright! Good job again! :D

Post a Comment