Question #14

Thursday, November 26, 2009
Hi there my fellow 9-05 classmates! The question that I am going to be explaining is question number 14 from the text book.
Li and Ray shared a vegetarian pizza and a Hawaiian pizza of the same size. The vegetarian pizza was cut into eight equal slices. The Hawaiian pizza was cut into six equal slices. Li ate two slices of the vegetarian pizza and one slice of the Hawaiian pizza. Ray ate two slices of the Hawaiian pizza and one slice of the vegetarian pizza. a)Who ate more pizza?

In order to solve this question I decided to make a chart. I figured that it would help me to organize everything better.

First you add what Li ate, which was 1/6 of a pizza and 2/8 of a pizza, which will give you 10/24 (after you simplify). Then you add what Ray ate, which was 2/6 of a pizza, and 1/8 of a pizza, which will give you 11/24 (after you simplify).

So, Ray ate more pizza.
b)How much more did that person eat?

To figure this out, you just subtract what Ray ate from what Li ate.

11/24-10/24=
1/24

Ray ate 1/24 more of a pizza.

c)How much pizza was left over?

Since I like charts, I want to use one to figure out this one too.


The 1/2 comes from 3/6, which is how much of the Hawaiian pizza was left. The 5/8 comes from how much of the vegetarian pizza was left. First you find common denominators for 1/2 and 5/8, which is 8/16 + 10/16. That equals to 18/16, and when you simplify that, it is 1 and 1/8.

Thank you for reading my post. If there's anything wrong, or you don't understand anything, feel free to COMMENT :]

3 comments:

Mr. B. said...

Kara great use of pictures. Just wondering how you got the fractions in part C? (Iknow but what about people that might not know?)

shaneille 9-05 said...

Great Job Kara! I like how you explained your thinking and answers. Just a suggestion, maybe make the pictures on paint, or bigger paper because some things are squished.

linda 9-05 said...

Hi Kara! Great post! I really liked your use of colour and I thought that it was very creative of you to take pictures of work from paper. Nice work!

Post a Comment